Monday, August 22, 2011

What I Like about Word of Faith


It doesn’t take much searching to find a website that is anti-Word of Faith. The claims go all the way to it being destructive to the church as a whole. This is an interesting viewpoint in my opinion. If the Church belongs to God then how can it be destroyed? Especially since a lot of the loudest screamers believe that nothing happens that God doesn’t ordain to happen. But I digress. There are things that I am grateful to God for connecting me with Word of Faith. Here are the main things.

Who Am I
1.       I learned that I am righteous. There is nothing that I can do to earn God’s love. Salvation is by grace and Faith in Jesus’ work on the Cross and not by my dead works. This was something I’d never learned in church. The churches that I had been a part of prior subtly taught a Works based system where whenever I messed up I thought I was at risk of losing my salvation. Humorously this caused me to think I had missed the rapture on a number of occasions growing up. I now don’t live in fear of God throwing me away because I’m not perfect. The pressure is off and I just rest in His grace to do what needs to be done out of love for Jesus.

Why Am I Here
2.       Not only did I learn that I was righteous but I learned that God has a unique plan for every person’s life here on earth. I’d grown up with the view of just trying to get to heaven. That earth was just something to endure until you make it to heaven. I now have a sense of purpose here on earth. I don’t fully understand what that purpose is but I no longer feel like I’m just a mist floating in the wind.

What is this book
3.       My Word of Faith church was the first church I was a part of that actually taught me about the bible. My prior churches talked about politics, news, current events and bringing your bible wasn’t necessary. My Word of Faith church required bringing your bible because we were going to be using it heavily. I was taught about Faith, Prayer, How to Study the Bible and a number of other things that had never been presented to me. Word of Faith emphasizes the importance of the bible and the reading of the bible more than any other church I’d ever been a part of.

These are just a few things that I like about Word of Faith. There are some things that I don’t like but the good outweighs the bad in most cases. In later posts I’ll be addressing some of the common criticisms tossed at Word of Faith to see if they are valid in light of scripture. If these blogs can cause one person to at least hesitate and research before tossing a stone at a fellow Christian it will have done its job.  

No comments:

Post a Comment